Coping with Hearing Voices Group
The ACAP Psychology Clinic is currently recruiting participants for all groups.
To provide support, psycho-education, and skills development to people who hear distressing voices.
Participants and Group Membership
Adults 18 years and older who hear voices or have heard voices and are currently interested in participating in a group to develop their skills for living with voices.
To decide if the group may be suitable for you, consider the following:
- Do you hear or have you heard voices?
- Are you interested in sharing your experience with others?
- Would you like to change your relationship with your voices and learn some new coping skills.
- If so, we will arrange to meet with you individually to assess if the group is suitable for you.
- Learn about the MODERN (Lampshire, 2006) model of hearing voices
- Improve coping skills
- Develop ways of understanding and communicating with your voices so that you feel more in control of your experiences
- Improve sense of well-being
Format and Interventions
The group will have between 5 and 10 members. Once the group has commenced, no new members will join. The format of the group is interactive. Facilitators will provide information, homework practice and opportunities for skills development. The group is based on cognitive behaviour therapy principles.
Schedule and Location
The program involves 7 X 2 hour weekly group meetings at the ACAP Psychology Clinic. The ACAP Psychology Clinic is a not-for-profit psychology training clinic located on Elizabeth St across from Hyde Park in the Sydney CBD.
Registered or Provisionally Registered Psychologists undertaking postgraduate training at the ACAP Psychology Clinic under the supervision of Clinical Psychologist Dr Vanessa Beavan.
Costs to Participants
There is an enrolment fee of $40 covering the participant workbook, materials and refreshments payable at the time of enrolment. Group sessions are free of charge.
Those interested in joining the group can contact us directly. We also accept referrals from doctors or agencies. To find out more, contact the ACAP Psychology Clinic by telephone on 02 8236 8070 or email email@example.com
The 'Hearing Voices' group will be evaluated through individual clinical interviews; self-report questionnaires; feedback on the group content and presentation.
Click here to return to the ACAP Psychology Clinic.