"Nobody is Perfect” Group
To provide support, psycho-education, and skills development to address problematic aspects of perfectionism.
Participants and Group Membership
Adults 18 years and older who are currently interested in participating in a psycho-educational group to learn cognitive behaviour and mindfulness skills to reduce distress associated with perfectionistic concerns.
To decide if the group may be suitable for you, consider the following:
- Do you put off starting a task for fear that it won’t ever be done perfectly?
- Do you constantly feel on edge, tense and stressed out?
- Do you measure your self-worth based on your ability to achieve those self-imposed standards?
- Have you noticed a negative impact of your behavior on your studies, health, career, and relationships?
- To reduce cognitive and behavioural mechanisms that perpetuate maladaptive perfectionism
- To reduce avoidance behaviour such as procrastination
- To build a robust sense of self-worth and well being
- To encourage excellence (perfectionistic striving) rather than unrelenting standards of performance and achievement
Format and Interventions
The group will have between 6 and 12 members. Once the group has commenced, no new members will join. The format of the group is interactive. Facilitators will provide information, homework practice and opportunities for skills development. The group is based on dialectical and cognitive behaviour therapy strategies outlined by Anthony and Swinson (2009), Dimeff and Koerner (2007), Lynehan (1983) and Shafran et al. (2010).
Schedule and Location
The program consists of 8 consecutive weeks, for 2 hours each week at the ACAP Psychology Clinic. A commitment to participate in all sessions is required. The ACAP Psychology Clinic is a not-for-profit psychology training clinic located on Elizabeth St across from Hyde Park in the Sydney CBD.
Next Session Dates
Registered Psychologists and Provisionally Registered Psychologists undertaking postgraduate training at the ACAP Psychology Clinic under the supervision of accredited clinical supervisors.
Cost to Participants
There is an enrolment fee of $40 covering the participant workbook, materials and refreshments payable at the time of enrolment. Group sessions are free of charge.
How to Attend
Those interested in joining the group can contact us directly. We also accept referrals from doctors or agencies. To express your interest or to find out more, contact the ACAP Psychology Clinic by telephone on 02 8236 8070 or email email@example.com For more information please email the Clinic Manager: Ester.Senderey-German@acap.edu.au
The ‘Nobody is Perfect’ group will be evaluated through individual clinical interviews; self-report questionnaires; feedback on the group content and presentation.