Managing Your Social Anxiety Group
The ACAP Psychology Clinic is currently recruiting participants for all groups.
The Managing Your Social Anxiety Group is based in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) strategies. Participants will be provided with psychoeducation on social anxiety, develop cognitive and behavioural skills and strategies to manage their anxiety in social situations, and practice exposure in a graded, safe way to social settings through group interaction.
Participants and Group Membership
Eligible participants will also need to demonstrate:
- Meet criteria for social anxiety
- Capacity to participate in a group setting
- Commitment to attend 8 weekly sessions
- Access to web browser on device with video and audio capacity
Participants will engage in an individual assessment prior to starting the group to ensure group treatment is matched to therapeutic needs. The group will have between 6 and 8 members.
- Understand how social anxiety works
- Develop insight into thinking, feeling and behavioural aspects of the problem
- Learn ways of managing ways of unhelpful thinking styles and unhelpful behaviours that can perpetuate the problem
- Practice helpful skills and behaviours in a supported way through group interaction and practice tasks in between sessions
Format and Interventions
When the group commences, membership will be closed and no new members will be admitted. The group is conducted via Telehealth in an interactive seminar format, with provision of information, discussion, skill development/feedback and homework practice.
Schedule and Location
The group runs for 8 consecutive weeks, for 2 hours each week at the ACAP Psychology Clinic. The next group will be delivered via TeleHealth.
Group will be facilitated by two Provisionally Registered Psychologists under the supervision of an endorsed Clinical Psychologist.
Costs to Participants
There is an enrolment fee of $50 covering the participant workbook, materials and refreshments payable at the time of enrolment. Group sessions are free of charge.
Please note: In response to impact of COVID-19, the Clinic is currently waiving the cost of treatment for referrals accepted before the 1st of November 2020.
If you are interested in joining the group, you can contact us directly. We also accept referrals from doctors or agencies. To find out more, contact the ACAP Psychology Clinic on 02 8236 8070, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Managing Your Social Anxiety Group will be evaluated through individual clinical interviews; self-report questionnaires; feedback on the group content and presentation.
Click here to return to the ACAP Psychology Clinic.