Units and course structure
ACAP delivers three teaching periods (trimesters) per year, which can be completed on-campus, online or a combination of both. To complete the degree students must complete 24 units (18 core units and six elective units)
Typical first year
- Trimester 1: Academic Enhancement, Criminal Justice, Cultural Diversity, Introduction to Psychology
- Trimester 2: Drugs and Crime, Ethics, Fundamentals of Law, Theoretical Criminology
- Trimester 3: Abnormal Psychology, Indigenous Peoples and Justice, Issues in Criminal Justice, Sentencing
Typical second year
- Trimester 4: Applied Criminology, Criminal Law and Procedure, Transnational Crime, Elective 1 (choose from list below)
- Trimester 5: Research Methods, Victimology, Elective 2 (choose from list below), Elective 3 (choose from list below)
- Trimester 6: Practicum, Elective 4 (choose from list below), Elective 5 (choose from list below), Elective 6 (choose from list below)
Students complete six electives from the following list:
Applied Research, Australian Law in Context, Case Management, Corporate Crime, Corrections, Deviance, Federal Criminal Law, Forensic Psychology, International Criminal Justice, Investigative Processes, Mental Health and Criminal Justice, Police and Enforcement Studies, Terrorism and Society, Youth Justice
*Not all elective options may be offered each trimester
* Course structure is subject to change.
* Students must have successfully completed the relevant pre-requisite unit prior to enrol in subsequent units.
* Electives are subject to change.
* If you are an international student studying in Australia on a student visa please be aware that you are required to complete your course within the stipulated timeframe on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). In order to complete your course within the stipulated timeframe you must maintain a full-time workload. As an international student you are also able to study a small proportion (25 percent) of your course by online delivery. You must also ensure you undertake a minimum of one on-campus unit in any standard study trimester. If you would like to take a unit by online delivery you must first obtain approval from ACAP.