BESC1071 Psychology of Health and Wellness
Bachelor Course Unit
Credit points: 6
This unit provides an overview of the psychological and behavioural factors associated with health and wellbeing coaching. Students will examine the connection between lifestyle, psychological and social factors and wellness; as well as the study of health behaviour change models designed to promote optimal health and wellbeing. The unit will address the psycho-social-behavioural components of health issues of greatest concern (i.e., National Health Priority Areas); and strategies to promote health and wellness across the lifespan. This unit would be critical for those seeking to engage in health and wellness coaching.
On completion of this unit students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of concepts and cultural understandings of health and wellness;
- Demonstrate an holistic understanding of the biopsychosocial processes related to health and wellness.
- Understand and apply strategies to alleviate stress and chronic pain responses;
- Understand and apply models of health promotion to facilitate behavioural change;
- Explore psychosocial interventions for enhanced health and wellbeing, including exercise.
The workload for this unit is 9 hours per week.
The required text book for this unit can be found by viewing the School of Counselling textbook list by selecting the course and trimester at the following link: http://www.acap.edu.au/current-students/managing-my-course/order-course-materials-and-text-books/
Ethical conduct and academic integrity and honesty are fundamental to the mission of ACAP. Academic misconduct will not be tolerated by the college. Please refer to the Academic Misconduct Policy for full details.
Unit information may be subject to change prior to the teaching trimester commencing. Once term has commenced please review the Unit Outline in your class space to ensure your trimester study plan is correct.