COUN5241 Fieldwork, Placement and Supervision 2
Graduate Diploma Level Unit
Duration: One Trimester
Level: 2nd year
Credit Points: 8 (out of a total of 96 points)
Prerequisites: COUN5231 Fieldwork, Placement and Supervision 1
Mode(s) of Delivery: Online
This unit is for students continuing in their placement from the previous term. Skills from the unit Field Placement and Supervision 1 are advanced through supervised work in this unit, which prepares students for a counselling role the workplace.
With an awareness of organisational, cultural and social contexts for their practice students will critically evaluate their counselling competence, including assessment and intervention planning to match client presentations. Students will also be required to demonstrate critical self-reflection, ethical awareness and decision making, and formulate to a high standard.
Weekly two-hour supervision sessions will again be a forum for you to bring cases to discuss, talk about occurances on placement and learn how supervision across your career will assist in keeping you connected to skilled mentors, make ethical decisions and provide effective support for your clients.
On completion of the unit students will be able to:
- Discuss the influence of organisational, cultural and social contexts on counselling practice
- Critically evaluate the use of counselling skills and interventions
- Demonstrate assessment and intervention planning and apply counselling models to meet client needs
- Integrate ethical thinking and decision-making in counselling to uphold the rights and autonomy of clients
- Evaluate their counselling competence in preparation for future clinical practice
- Facilitate effective use of theoretical knowledge and counselling skills to practice with clients in a counselling agency
- Demonstrate effective presentation of current client cases
- Contribute to group supervision
- Integrate feedback from the supervisor and other students effectively
The workload for this unit is 12 hours and 20 minutes per week.
Counselling Placement and Supervision Classes
Counselling Placement and Supervision classes are offered On Campus and Online. On Campus class times may change between terms, whereas Online synchronous class times tend to be the same each term.
On Campus class times for current enrolment periods can be accessed here.
Online times can be accessed here (scroll down the page and open the document at the bottom of the page).
Students are encouraged to plan their unit enrolment early to avoid clashes with their placement or other units.
The required text book for this unit can be found by viewing the Discipline of Counselling textbook list by selecting the course and trimester at the following link: http://www.acap.edu.au/current-students/managing-my-course/order-course-materials-and-text-books/
Ethical conduct and academic integrity and honesty are fundamental to the mission of ACAP. Academic misconduct will not be tolerated by the college. This includes plagiarism of any nature. It is your responsibility to make sure that you understand what constitutes plagiarism in order to ensure that you do not engage in it. Please refer to the Academic Misconduct Policy for full details.
Unit information may be subject to change prior to the teaching trimester commencing. Once term has commenced please review the Unit Outline in your class space to ensure your trimester study plan is correct.