COUN5211 Grief Counselling
Graduate Diploma Level Unit
Duration: One Trimester
Level: 2nd year
Credit Points: 8 (out of a total of 96 points)
Prerequisites: 6 Year 1 units must be completed
Mode(s) of Delivery: On-Campus; Blended Online
Grief is a significant element of counselling within any modality or integrative therapeutic practice. In this unit students will learn to identify and analyse the human experience of a wide range of losses and bereavement. Through theoretical and practical learning students will critically evaluate current models of grief counselling and develop skills to match counselling options to clients presenting with experiences of grief and loss.
On completion of the unit students will be able to:
- Critically evaluate current models of grief counselling
- Identify and analyse the human experience of a wide range of losses and bereavement
- Match counselling options to clients presenting with experiences of grief and loss
- Apply appropriate models of grief counselling to a case study developed from a personal experience of loss
- Develop and apply grief and loss interventions that address the presenting issues of the client
- Demonstrate skills for effectively counselling clients who present with loss issues
The workload for this unit is 12 hours per week.
The required text book for this unit can be found by viewing the Discipline of Counselling textbook list by selecting the course and trimester at the following link: http://www.acap.edu.au/current-students/managing-my-course/order-course-materials-and-text-books/
Ethical conduct and academic integrity and honesty are fundamental to the mission of ACAP. Academic misconduct will not be tolerated by the college. This includes plagiarism of any nature. It is your responsibility to make sure that you understand what constitutes plagiarism in order to ensure that you do not engage in it. Please refer to the Academic Misconduct Policy for full details.
Unit information may be subject to change prior to the teaching trimester commencing. Once term has commenced please review the Unit Outline in your class space to ensure your trimester study plan is correct.