COUN5811 Narrative Therapy
Graduate Diploma Level Unit
Duration: One Trimester
Level: 2nd year
Credit Points: 8 (out of a total of 96 points)
Mode(s) of Delivery: On Campus and Blended Delivery
Drawing on post-structural theories, narrative therapy is a postmodern therapy developed by Australian and New Zealand therapists. Students studying in this unit will learn to apply the skills of narrative therapy to counselling practice, and identify the strengths and limitations of this modality.
Critical thinking skills are developed through analysis of academic journal articles, and critical evaluation of the strength of the evidence base for narrative therapy.
On completion of the unit students will be able to:
- Apply the skills of narrative therapy to counselling practice
- Identify the strengths and limitations of narrative therapy
- Critically discuss ethical aspects of applying narrative therapy to practice
- Demonstrate an in depth understanding of a selected topic in narrative therapy
- Critically analyse the evidence base for narrative therapy theory and practice
- Demonstrate skills in searching electronic data bases and critically analysing published research studies
The workload for this unit is 12 hours per week.
The required text book for this unit can be found by viewing the School of Counselling textbook list by selecting the course and trimester at the following link: http://www.acap.edu.au/current-students/managing-my-course/order-course-materials-and-text-books/
Ethical conduct and academic integrity and honesty are fundamental to the mission of ACAP. Academic misconduct will not be tolerated by the college. This includes plagiarism of any nature. It is your responsibility to make sure that you understand what constitutes plagiarism in order to ensure that you do not engage in it. Please refer to the Academic Misconduct Policy for full details.
Unit information may be subject to change prior to the teaching trimester commencing. Once term has commenced please review the Unit Outline in your class space to ensure your trimester study plan is correct.