CHC0104P Society in the Australian Context
VET Diploma Level Subject
This subject examines the broad social, cultural and economic factors which contribute to the makeup of Australian society. It looks at in detail how the application of this knowledge can assist the worker to better understand their client group and the issues that impact on their lives.
Australia is a nation of people from different cultures, different experiences and a range of life expectations. It is within the Australian society we will be addressing issues of cultural diversity, cultural safety, social and cultural institutions within Australia, inequality, unemployment, advocacy for clients, government policy and power. These issues will be related to your work in the community services industry and clients. It will also look at policies within your work placement agency and how work practices address some of the issues raised above.
At the conclusion of your study in this subject, you will be expected to:
- identify social and cultural issues impacting on clients in Australian society;
- analyse these impacts of social and cultural factors on clients; monitor impact of social and cultural factors on community work and services provided to clients;
- monitor impact of social and cultural factors on community work and services provided to clients; and
- use strategies to ensure diversity is fostered and promoted in the workplace.
You will be assessed on your ability to advise, refer and provide at least three clients with access to services based on their socio-cultural information; review the appropriateness of these services; and revise the case plan to enhance services for your clients. As you are working with clients you will also be required to demonstrate your ability to identify, analyse and implement workplace strategies which foster diversity. These tasks will be undertaken on work placement during a period of at least 100 hours of work within a community services workplace.
The unit of competency CHCDEV002 ‘Analyse impacts of sociological factors on clients in community work and services’ contains three elements or learning outcomes. You will learn to:
- Identify social and cultural issues impacting on Australian society
- Analyse impacts of social and cultural factors
- Monitor impact of social and cultural factors on community work and services provided to clients
The unit of competency CHCDIV003 ‘Manage and promote diversity’ contains four elements or learning outcomes. You will learn to:
- Research diversity in the workplace
- Foster diversity
- Adapt communication strategies
- Contribute to workplace diversity policies and procedures
- Introduction to Sociology
- Who are We? Belonging
- Cultural Diversity
- The Family
- Health and Education
- Class and Inequality
- Government and Power
- Welfare State: Community Services Industry
- Welfare State: Advocating for your client
- The Power to Act: How Government Addresses Problems
- Review and Reflections: Presentations
Subject Duration and Workload
This subject involves a total of 72 hours per term of study including course work component, teacher contact, research and related study activities, translating to approximately 6 hours of study per week. Students will need to allocate additional time for the completion of assessment activities related to the subject.
This subject also includes a co-requisite work placement within a community services workplace for 100 hours.