VET Diploma Level Module
This module is designed to enable you to develop a detailed knowledge of indicators of the mental health status of clients in order to clarify their suitability for counselling services or need for referral, in the context of community services work. You will also extend the interpersonal communication skills developed in the first module of this course, Facilitate The Counselling Process, to facilitate the client-counsellor relationship and enhance client development and growth.
Skills and knowledge developed in this module are intended to be applied in functions such as providing information to clients or reporting or referring issues outside the scope of your individual role. You will be working under supervision and/or guidance from appropriately qualified personnel in performing this work, especially where direct client services are involved.
The CHCCSL502A Apply specialist interpersonal and counselling interview skills unit of competency contains two elements or learning outcomes. You will learn to:
- communicate effectively in counselling practice
- use specialist communication skills in counselling interviews
The CHCCSL512A Determine suitability of client for counselling services contains three elements or learning outcomes. You will learn to:
- obtain information about client's developmental and mental health status
- clarify client suitability for service to be provided
- check for and respond appropriately to risk
- Mental Health Issues
- Communication Skills
- Monitoring and Reviewing Communication Skills
- Referral and Reporting
- Recording/Reporting the Counselling Process
- Reviewing the Process of Working with Clients with Significant and Multiple Issues
- Counselling Interview Skills Summary and Reflection
Module Duration and Workload
This module involves a total of 96 hours per term of study including course work component, teacher contact, research and related study activities, translating to approximately 8 hours of study per week. Students will need to allocate additional time for the completion of assessment activities related to the module.