VET Diploma Level Module
The Working with Clients from diverse cultures module covers two units of competency – HLTHIR403C Work Effectively with culturally diverse clients and co-workers and HLTHIR404D Work effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people .
This module is designed to give students a cultural awareness required to effectively communicate and cooperate with persons of diverse cultures; it deals specifically with cross-cultural awareness and issues involving working with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander individuals, organisations and communities
This module examines cultural diversity and its implications for case managers. Students will learn the cultural and linguistic awareness and skills required for effective communication and cooperation with persons of diverse cultures and linguistic needs, with particular emphasis on Aboriginal and/ or Torres Strait Islander people. Ways of participating in the development of workplace policies that acknowledge such cultural diversity will be discussed.
Students will be encouraged to consider the events and issues in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander history and how they impact on present work practices. They will study the nature of the cultural diversity that makes up the Australian population and the ways in which to work effectively with culturally diverse clients and co-workers.
Issues covered will include cultural awareness in the workplace, recognising and eliminating bias and discrimination, improving cross-cultural communication, and resolving cross-cultural misunderstandings and conflict.
The two units of competency cover nine elements or learning outcomes.
- Reflect an awareness of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people history and cultures in work practices
- Reflect an awareness of own and other cultural realities in work practices
- Communicate effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
- Reflect cultural safety in workplace and professional relationships
- Work in partnership with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and communities
- Reflect cultural awareness in work practice
- Accept cultural diversity as a basis for effective work place and professional relationships
- Communicate effectively with culturally diverse persons
- Resolve cross-cultural misunderstandings
- Cultural diversity in Australian Society
- The impact of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) history and cultures on service delivery
- Cultural awareness
- Matching clients and services – working with diversity
- Attitudes, stereotypes and bias
- Eliminating bias and discrimination in the workplace
- Using communication to develop and maintain culturally diverse relationships
- Communicating across cultural barriers
- An awareness and celebration of diversity
- Resolving cross cultural misunderstandings and conflict
- Creating a safe environment for the client
- Developing workplace policies on cultural diversity
- Reviewing and modifying work practices and networking in cultural diversity
Module Duration and Workload
This module involves a total of 96 hours per term of study which translates to 8 hours per week for the module. The module has a course work component, teacher contact, research, related study activities, and completion of assessment tasks.