VET Diploma Level Subject
This subject looks at the communication systems used in workplaces. This includes identifying what information needs there are for different groups a caseworker interacts with including clients, co-workers and government and industry. It also looks at the most appropriate ways to communicate with each of these groups and the broader communication structures there are between community service agencies and between community services and governments. In this subject, you will learn to develop a communications plan, prepare a range of communication documents and demonstrate communications skills including presentation skills and meeting skills. It also helps you develop your networking skills so that you are able to support your clients in all their needs, even if your own Agency does not provide all the services they require. This includes both direct collaboration between different agencies and broader collaborations within the sector.
Workplace Communication is also the key support subject for your Work Placement in Phase 2 of the course. In this class, there will also be four work placement peer-review sessions in weeks 3, 6, 9 and 12. These are to support you on placement.
The unit of competency CHCCOM003 ‘Develop workplace communication strategies’ contains four elements or learning outcomes. You will learn to:
- Develop communication strategies
- Establish communication protocols
- Promote the use of communication strategies
- Review communication practices
- Introduction to Communication & Communicating emotions
- Communications in Industry
- Effective Communication with Clients (Informal)
- Effective Communication with Clients: Interviewing skills
- Conveying Need (Research Skills with Clients)
- Effective Communication with Colleagues 1 (Presentation skills 1)
- Effective Communication with Colleagues 2 (Written Communication)
- Maintaining Relationships and Mentoring People
- Building Relationships: Developing Networks to Address Issues
- Building Relationships: (Presentations Skills 2)
- Interagency Meeting & Handling Conflict
- Consolidating Communications Management
Subject Duration and Workload
This subject involves a total of 108 hours per term of study including course work component, teacher contact, research and related study activities, translating to approximately 9 hours of study per week. Students will need to allocate additional time for the completion of assessment activities related to the subject.