Master of Counselling and Psychotherapy
Student placements are periods of unpaid work experience in supervised organisations that provide counselling or related services. Students have the opportunity to put the theory they study in class into practice in the workplace. Student placements are also an excellent opportunity for students to develop a network of contacts and explore career options and professional pathways.
Students may also be approved to carry out their student placement within their current employment agency, volunteering agency or private practice*. Application forms are available for each and must be submitted a minimum of 30 days prior to the commencement of the term in which the student wishes to enrol in Advanced Placement and Supervision 1.
All Master of Counselling and Psychotherapy students are required to complete 1 clinical placement totalling 240 hours across 2 consecutive terms. Students will enrol into the units Advanced Counselling Placement and Supervision 1 & 2 concurrent with placement. Placement must be completed in the fields of Counselling or Psychotherapy. Students must complete a minimum of 80 hours of one to one counselling and / or counselling group therapy during the placement.
Students are expected to attend a placement agency for a minimum of 1 day per week from 9am to 5pm throughout the 2 terms of the placement*. The agency supervisor remains responsible for all clients seen by the student throughout the placement. Case notes must be kept and reviewed by the agency supervisor. Visits to external sites must be accompanied by an agency staff member. Mandatory reporting issues or other serious issues that arise during a counselling session must be brought to the attention of the agency supervisor immediately.
Placement Agency Supervisor
Your placement agency supervisor is the person with whom you work closely and who directs your activity and supervises you on a daily basis. Your placement supervisor must:
- be in a managerial or supervisory role in the organisation
- Have at least 3 years relevant experience in the industry
- Not have any other relationship with you (e.g., family etc.)
Clinical Supervision on Placement
Students undertaking placement must be concurrently enrolled in the units Advanced Counselling Placement and Supervision 1 & 2. Group Clinical supervision is undertaken during these classes. Further details are available by viewing the unit descriptions.
Appropriate / possible duties for counselling placement may include:
- Group therapy e.g., Anxiety, depression, anger management etc
- Relationship counselling
- Family counselling
- Person Centred counselling
- Solution focused counselling
- Counselling services within a community or welfare agency (youth counsellor, aged care, disabled care, alcohol and other drugs counselling, rehabilitation unit etc)
- Health care work or counselling in the allied health professions such as family support services, child, adolescent and family counselling
- Bereavement counselling and palliative care
- Liaising with co-workers and other service providers
- Casework, case notes liaising with other services
- Maintaining records and collecting client information
- Participating in the development, analysis, evaluation and planning of services
- Participating in the organisation as appropriate including the implementation of projects, programs and promotional activities
- Conducting individual or family interviews to identify clients' circumstances and requirements
- Assisting in the provision of services, or referring clients to other community organisations which may be better able to provide more appropriate services
- Facilitating support groups
Students are expected to participate in all activities of the organisation that a counsellor employed at the agency would participate in e.g. fill in on reception at lunch breaks, answer the phones if receptionist is busy, some administration work, funding applications etc. However students should be primarily focussed on counselling or psychotherapy work throughout their placement.
*Workplace placements, volunteering and private practice for placement must be pre-approved by the Manager Student Placement.