The latest information for new and continuing students

Are you a new student looking for information to commence your course, or a current student needing help to navigate the next steps in your study path?

We’re here to help online with our range of handy FAQs and guides. Get started by browsing through our support services and information below or take a look at the more detailed questions we’ve provided answers to further down the page.


Have more detailed questions? Select your situation from the list below and see the most commonly asked questions to help get you on track.

I’m a new student


What key dates do I need to know?

Our Academic Calendar is your go-to guide when it comes to key dates! The calendar provides you with the dates of:

  • Our three study periods throughout the year (called trimesters or T1, T2, T3)
  • When re-enrolment is open and closed
  • Census dates (The last date you can withdraw from a unit subject, module or course without academic penalty or financial liability.)

View the 2020 calendar.

View the future Academic Calendars.


What is the Student Portal and how do I access it?

The Student Portal is a handy way to access key study information. The one-stop-shop allows you to:

  • Manage your enrolment
  • Update your personal details
  • Read college and campus updates
  • View your invoices and academic results
  • Access your class spaces, unit outlines and learning materials

Use these step-by-step instructions to access the Student Portal:

  • Go to
  • In the top centre of the page you will see a small icon saying “Student Portal”
  • Click this to login and enter your login details

This is what you will see:



I’m locked out of the portal, what do I do?

Our IT team have created some handy how-to guides for IT and software issues, please check them out here, you can find specific information on Student Portal issues.

If you are still experiencing issues, please contact the IT Help Desk via:

Phone: (02) 9964 6322

Hours of Operation: 8am-7pm (AEST), Monday-Friday


What is my ‘Class Space’ and ‘Unit Outline’ and where do I find them?

Your ‘Class Space’ is an online space containing all the information and materials you will need for each of your units. You can access your class space via the Student Portal.

This is where you will find:

  • Zoom links to access your online classes
  • Class recordings
  • Unit announcements
  • Recommended readings
  • Educator details and forums
  • Unit Outlines

Importantly, it is also where you submit your assessments.

The ‘Unit Outline’ can be downloaded from your class space and contains all the ‘need to know’ information for the unit including:

  • Delivery mode
  • Attendance requirements
  • Assessment details

Your ‘Class Space’ will look similar to this:

ApplicationContextStudentPortal 2


I’m having IT issues, what do I do?

Don’t worry if you are having IT issues, we have plenty of easy step-by-step guides to help you.

Our friendly IT department have created a range of useful ‘how to’ guides that can help you in setting up your IT access and resolving issues. Check them out here.

Our Student Learning Support team have created some handy webinars for Managing Online Study and Navigating Your Online Environment, which cover: how to log into your student portal, how to access your class space, your student emails, how to access your timetable, how to find your textbooks and a basic introduction to the library. Check them out here.

Email account

Your email account details will be your student number, followed by Your email password is your Student Portal password.

Office 365

There are clear instructions on how to download your free Office 365 package here.

Still having trouble?

If you are unable to resolve the issue then our IT helpdesk can be contacted via


What if I already have an Office365 account?

The easiest thing to do is to set up your ACAP emails to forward automatically to your personal email account, and continue using your Office 365 package as normal.

Go to and sign in using your ACAP email account and student portal password. Then follow the relevant instructions here to set up automatic forwarding.


What textbooks do I need and where can I get them from?

You will find the list of textbooks (and recommended places to purchase) relevant to your course here. You can also borrow textbooks using our library or view as an eTextbook.

Our library staff are accessible and available to support you throughout your studies. Library staff are available online via a chat service called ‘LibChat’ to provide assistance finding and using online resources such as, ebooks, journal articles and streaming video services. Find out more on our library page here


When is my class/ where do I find my timetable?

Please click here to access timetable information around your course.

You can also access this information specific to your units via your Student Portal.


Where can I find information relating to timetables and how classes are accessed and delivered online?

Please see here for the latest email sent out which answers the most common questions relating to how classes are shown in the enrolment area of the portal as well as explain some of the terms used to explain different approaches to class delivery.



Why has my class time changed and what can I do about it?

We try our best to accommodate students in different study modes, however, sometimes due to student numbers and availability we have to change class times. We understand this can be disappointing and frustrating, however, there are many staff members who are here to support you  and we encourage to speak with one of our Student Experience Team via to discuss your circumstances.


What do you mean when you refer to ‘delivery modes’ and where do I find more information on them?

Delivery modes refer to the way in which your units will be and are either blended, online, or on-campus; definitions of each of these can be found here.

Blended and online units are taught as either ‘synchronous’ or ‘asynchronous’ (please see our FAQ below for a simple answer on what these terms mean).

We have adapted our delivery modes for Trimester 2, following the COVID-19 pandemic. Please select your course below for further information. While classes will remain online when T2 commences, we are preparing for a return to on-campus classes as soon as we can. We expect to return to on-campus, blended and online delivery modes for T3.

Social Work





What does synchronous learning mean?

You can think of Synchronous as ‘live’ learning as it refers to online communication live and in real time.

With synchronous learning students engage with fellow learners and with educators through interactive tutorials and instant messaging with the aid of chat rooms and online platforms such as Zoom. The learning occurs at scheduled times and for set timeframes.


What does asynchronous learning mean?

You can think ofAsynchronous like ‘self-paced’ learning as it refers to online and offline recorded communication.

Asynchronous learning involves watching recorded lectures, contributing to online discussion forums, and pursuing self-paced learning tasks. Students watch the lecturers, contribute to online discussion forums and work on self-paced tasks on their own time, within a prescribed timeframe.

We will be delivering on-campus and online interactive groups to support this mode of learning. An academic from each Discipline will be available in person for two hours each week, at designated times, to support students with key concepts. These are optional and not counted towards attendance requirements.


What are my attendance requirements?

Your unit outline will give you information on this. The unit outline can be found through the student portal and these instructions are available in the FAQ above.


What do I do if I’m late for my class/ miss a class?

You need to register your missed attendance via this online form for On Campus classes - the form needs to be completed per affected unit. You will be contacted at the end of the trimester for makeup work for relevant units as required. 


I have an online lecture to attend, where do I find the Zoom link?

There will be a tab within your Class Space where your teacher will post the links to your lectures once they become available.  View some handy tips from out Student Learning Support for navigating your Class Space here.


How do I get a student ID?

To apply for a student ID please fill out an application form here.  


What is a Fee- HELP debt?

FEE-HELP is a Commonwealth Government loan available to eligible students enrolled in one of ACAP's Higher Education courses in order to help pay part or all of their tuition fees. A 25% loan fee applies to undergraduate courses that lead to the award of a higher education diploma, advanced diploma, associate degree or a bachelor degree (pass, honours or graduate entry).

You are required to repay your HELP loan through the taxation system once your income exceeds the government’s set minimum thresholds. The current minimum threshold may be found on the government's StudyAssist website. A HELP loan may impact on your credit rating.

To apply for FEE-HELP you will need to read the FEE-HELP information booklet.

For more information click here.


I have a disability or chronic health condition. What support can ACAP give me?

ACAP is committed to providing appropriate and reasonable adjustments to students with a disability or chronic health condition. If you have a disability, illness, injury or health condition that impacts on your academic studies, or if you care for someone in these circumstances, then you may be eligible to register with the AccessAbility Service.

To register with the service, please email with your Student number, contact information and any questions you may have. After this point, an AccessAbility Advisor will be in touch for a confidential conversation.  If deemed eligible for the service, your advisor will provide you with relevant forms to register with the service and subsequent support will be provided.

More information about the AccessAbility service can be found here.


How do I prove that I am an ACAP Student? Where can I find my Financial Statement and Proof of Enrolment?

Many external services may require you to give evidence of your student status and your enrolment type. Your ACAP Proof of Enrolment and Financial Statements are the usual documents used to meet these requests.

To get your Proof of Enrolment and Financial Statements follow the directions HERE 


Who is my unit Coordinator and how do I contact them?

It is always recommended that for class specific questions and content, that are not answered by the “Student Info Hub,” that you reach out to your Educators and Unit Coordinators.
Discipline breakdowns for 

  • Undergraduate Counselling Unit Coordinators HERE
  • Postgraduate Counselling Unit Coordinators HERE
  • Undergraduate Psychology Unit Coordinators HERE
  • Postgraduate Psychology Unit Coordinators HERE
  • Criminology and Justice Unit Coordinators HERE
  • Social Work Unit Coordinators HERE
  • Bachelor of Applied Social Science Unit Coordinators HERE

When are my Blended Units Workshops being held?

The Discipline of Counselling has been reviewing the workshop schedules for Term 2 2020 Blended units and wish to establish some tentative dates. The Blended timetables have been updated with specific times for each unit to allow you to plan for On Campus Workshop attendance.
Please note that the dates and times of On Campus Workshops are subject to change, depending on government and industry advice regarding management of COVID-19 to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our students and staff.

The updated Blended schedules can be found HERE

I need to re-enrol


How do I re-enrol into classes?

You can re-enrol into units and classes via the Student Portal. Select the ‘enrolment’ tab to view available units in your course. Once selected, you will be able to select delivery mode and class time.


How do I know which units to select?

Your Course Guide will provide you with key information including your course structure, units and sequence. View your course guide here

If you are unsure, you can also reach out to your Course Coordinator for guidance.


What are pre-requisite and co-requisites?

A pre-requisite is a unit that needs to be completed before starting another unit. This is often because the knowledge gained from one unit is required for you to be able to progress to the next unit.

A co-requisite is a unit that needs to be taken at the same time as another unit.


What does it mean if I am on a ‘waitlist’?

If the class in which you want to enrol is already full, the status will show as ‘waitlist’. You may still request enrolment into this class, but will be put on the waitlist.

If a place becomes available before the end of the enrolment period, you will be allocated a place in that class and will be notified by email. Each student can be waitlisted for a maximum of two classes. During the enrolment period, you should check the ‘Enrolment’ tab in the Student Portal regularly for any updates to your enrolment status.


Can I add or drop unit/s without penalty?

Before Census date, you can add units to your enrolment during the first week of Trimester only. You can drop units up to the Census date without academic or financial penalty.

New Students:

If you are a new student in your first trimester of study and wish to change your enrolment in any way, please complete the Variation of Enrolment form here.

Re-enrolling Students:

If you are a current student in your second trimester or beyond and wish to drop units from your enrolment you can remove units via the Student Portal under the ‘enrolment’ tab.

There is an issue in my course/unit that I need help with


I can’t complete my assessment on time. What do I do?

We understand that sometimes, circumstances arise that impact your ability to complete your assessments and meet due dates.

In order to receive additional time (7 days) to complete an assessment, you will need to submit an online extension request form. You can do so by submitting the online Assessment Extension Request form here.

You will be asked to summarise the reason for requiring an extension, and to provide evidence. Given the current COVID-19 situation, students will not be required to provide medical evidence for requests of a medical nature. 


I need help with academic and study skills. Who can I talk to?

Our Student Learning Support (SLS) team are here to help! They have a wide collection of resources to support you academically throughout your studies.

You can access information on how to structure, format and reference your assignments successfully and view links to useful writing, reading, critical thinking and study skills resources. 

They also run skill development workshops and webinars each trimester, can talk you through different types of assessments and offer one-on-one support opportunities for students.

You can view the list of resources here.

You can make an appointment here.


I’m not sure my course is right for me. Can I change course?

We understand that sometimes circumstances and preferences change during study. If you feel as though your course is not quite right for you please speak with one of our Course Advisors as they will be able to discuss your eligibility to change course and give you advice on which course would be better suited to you. 

You can view the application for transfer of course here.


What do Special Consideration and Special Circumstances mean, and what is the difference between them?

Special Consideration applies when you may have missed an assessment due date, were too late in applying for an extension or a usual extension request would not be suitable for you. Special consideration applications must be submitted no later than 10 working days of the due date or completion date of the assessment concerned or in some cases, by the date agreed with the applicable Unit Coordinator.

You can also apply for special consideration for Discipline of Psychological Sciences Examinations should you need approval to sit the exam at the supplementary session set by the college or should you need extra time during the exam.

Special Circumstances is when you are applying for a re-credit of FEE-HELP or refund of tuition fees paid up-front and/or annulment of the academic results for a unit or units as a result of special circumstances effecting your ability to successfully complete a unit/s. We explain this process and how to submit this application in more detail under the ‘Your Enrolment’ section below.

Further explanation of each situation and the eligibility criteria required can be found on the relevant application forms:

View the Special Consideration in Assessment form here

View the Examination Special Consideration form here.

View the Special Circumstances form here.


How do I appeal an assessment result?

Information on the process can be found in theAssessment Appeal Application Form.

I’m about to finish my course


How do I know if I am eligible to graduate?

Once the results have been released for your final trimester of study, the college will assess your eligibility to graduate. If you are deemed eligible to graduate you will be sent further information regarding graduation via email.


How do I get a replacement testamur or statement of results or letter of completion?

Please fill out the relevant form below and return to the contact details listed in the form.

Replacement testamur

Statement of results

Letter of Completion


When is Graduation?

ACAP currently holds three graduation sessions a year in March, July and November occurring after the results are released for each trimester. Ceremonies are held twice a year and coincide with the March and November graduation sessions. As we do not hold a ceremony in July, students who graduate in the July session are invited to attend the November Ceremony.

You may also elect to graduate in absentia which means that you will not need to attend the ceremony and your award will be sent to you by registered post after the date of the ceremony.

Students who graduate in July will automatically graduate in absentia as there is no ceremony held in July, however these students will be invited to attend the November Graduation Ceremonies to celebrate with family and friends.

More information on Graduation can be foundhere.


What is the ACAP Alumni?

The ACAP Alumni are a community of ACAP graduates that keep in touch with each other and ACAP through networking events, professional development and the Alumni Newsletter. Find out more information here.

I need help with placement


Do I qualify?

Student placement is unpaid ‘work experience’. This is your opportunity to put the theory you are learning in class to practice within a supervised workplace. All placements have strict requirements which must be met to successfully complete the placement. Your school Student Placement Adviser will be able to provide you with these requirements.

Courses which have a compulsory student placement component are:

  • Diploma of Youth Work
  • Diploma of Community Services (Case Management)
  • Bachelor of Counselling (coaching)
  • Bachelor of Counselling
  • Bachelor of Applied Social Science
  • Bachelor of Psychological Science and Counselling
  • Graduate Diploma of Counselling
  • Master of Counselling and Psychotherapy
  • Master of Psychology (Clinical)
  • Bachelor of Social Work
  • Master of Social Work (Qualifying)

How can I get started early?

We highly recommend you begin networking, exploring and volunteering as soon as possible to give you the best chance of securing a great placement when the time comes. It can take up to 6 months to secure a placement if you have not done some groundwork previously.   


How do I secure a placement?

The best way is to begin volunteering in the agency or organisation where you want to do your placement - and hopefully gain employment when you qualify. An organisation is far more likely to say yes to your request to do your placement there if they already know you. Choose an organisation where you would ideally like to work in the future and volunteer there - a few hours a week is enough, though some may require more.

ACAP has many placement partners who offer placement opportunities to our students. We will provide you with a range of resources to support you in your own search. You will be assigned to a Student Placement Adviser who will support you through the process. Some placements are assigned, but many students prefer to find their own placement organisation to ensure they gain experience that matches their needs and interests.


What is SONIA?

SONIA is an online student placement management system popular with many universities in Australia and internationally for managing large numbers of student placements. Students, Volunteer Representatives, Agency Supervisors, ACAP Clinical Supervisors and staff log in directly to Sonia Online and complete many tasks and assessments, saving time and effort with no printing, signing or scanning of paperwork required.

More information can be found here.



I am considering a gender transition, what support is available for me?

ACAP supports students who are considering or planning a gender transition through a Gender Transition Plan. You can make contact with us for advice and assistance with your gender transition and we will assist you in completing a Gender Transition Plan whether you are studying on campus or online. For further information on the support available please refer to this document here.

If you have any concerns or queries you can contact .



I am having a hard time at home or work. Who can I talk to?

ACAP have dedicated Student Counsellors who can provide personal support that is professional, confidential and free for all students. Our Counsellors can help you with a range of issues, including:

  • Relationship difficulties
  • Self-esteem
  • Motivation
  • Family issues
  • Crisis

For more information about this service or to make an appointment, please visit our counselling support page here.

There may also be times when it is not possible for you to reach a counsellor (e.g. on weekends or after hours). It’s important to remember that there is still help available should you need it; please click here for external contacts that you can reach out to in need.