*Important volunteering information during COVID-19 situation – please click here
From Trimester 1 2020, new students enrolled in the Bachelor of Counselling, Bachelor of Counselling (Minor in Coaching), and Bachelor of Psychological Science & Counselling courses, are required to undertake volunteering as a mandatory part of their course requirements.
Following is a list of the specific course volunteering requirements:
- Bachelor of Counselling students must complete 90 hours of volunteering
- Bachelor of Counselling (Minor in Coaching) students must complete 90 hours of volunteering
- Bachelor of Psychological Science and Counselling students must complete 140 hours of volunteering
These volunteering hours must be completed prior to commencing the 200-hour student placement.
The inclusion of volunteer hours is to ensure the Bachelor of Counselling; Bachelor of Counselling (Minor in Coaching); and Bachelor of Psychological Science & Counselling courses meet accreditation requirements.
The following list outlines various features of the volunteering component:
- Does not require clinical/formal supervision
- Must be in an industry related site approved by ACAP
- Can be spread across the three years of the counselling degrees, however, must be completed prior to commencing placement
- Students can begin accumulating hours once they have submitted a National Criminal Record Check to ACAP
- Cannot be accrued at a student’s workplace
- Can be completed at a maximum of three agencies
- Must be at a different site to the ‘Service-Learning project’ site and counselling placement site
- ‘Volunteering Timesheet’ must be signed off by the agency representative, and submitted to ACAP
A message from ACA
Philip Armstrong, CEO of ACA, clarifies the volunteering requirements for students, (newly enrolled from 2020) in the Bachelor of Counselling degree. Click here to find the letter.
Note: Students enrolled before Trimester 1 2020:
Although this is a mandatory component for new students commencing in Trimester 1 2020, it is optional for students continuing into their 2nd and 3rd year. If applying for ACA membership upon graduation, you will need to inform ACA whether you have completed the voluntary hours to be eligible for membership.
Email all volunteering questions to email@example.com