Experience ACAP: Melbourne
Are you interested in human behaviour? Experience ACAP and hear from our leading academics in the field of criminology and justice. Our educators will discuss their research and give you a fascinating insight into what it’s like to be a student at ACAP.
When: Friday, 4 October 2019
Time: 10.30am - 2.00 pm
Location: Level 9, 123 Lonsdale St, Melbourne
Session 1: ‘An Insight into Sanity and Insanity’ 11.00am – 12.00pm
Presented by Professor John Reece, this session explores the Gargasoulas case from a Psychology perspective and provides students with an insight into:
- Sanity and insanity, and how that plays out in a legal contexts
- How do we define mental illness, and why James Gargasoulas was found fit to stand trial
- The dangerous interactive effect of drugs on mental health
- What does the research tell us about dangerousness and mental illness
- Do people with serious mental health issues present a danger to society
Networking lunch: 12.00pm – 12.30pm
Session 2: ‘The Power of Media in Shaping Our Perceptions of Crime’ 12.30pm – 1.30pm
Presented by senior lecturer Matthew Thurgood, this session examines societal understandings of crime, mental illness, punishments and the ways in which these perceptions are shaped. The audience will be invited to consider the effect of different forms of media – from news and television programming to social media.
Can't attend for the entire duration? You have the choice to attend just one session. Family and friends are welcome to join.