Dr Craig Ellis has over 20 years’ higher education industry experience with the last 10 in senior management and executive roles, including the positions of Associate Dean (Academic) and Acting Executive Dean, as well as Non-executive Director of Western Sydney University Enterprises (formerly UWS College). Prior to his appointment as Dean at the Australian College of Applied Psychology, Craig was Dean at Asia Pacific International College. Craig additionally holds the position of Adjunct Professor at Western Sydney University.
Outside of his professed expertise in Finance, Craig is expert in teaching and learning, quality assurance and enhancement in higher education, with a specific emphasis on tracking and analysing student progression and performance in higher education, and developing strategies in response to identified issues. He also led the development of university strategy in the TAFE/VET arena, growing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships through engagement with TAFE and VET partners. Craig has a passion for the transformative value of higher education to change lives and a vast experience in curriculum development and quality assurance processes.
Craig is an active researcher and has completed the supervision of several doctoral students. He has a rich history in research authoring more than 60 articles, as well as being an academic journal referee, textbook referee, and ERA Peer Reviewer.
Craig’s disciplinary expertise is in Finance. His disciplinary research interests include capital market efficiency, technical analysis in financial markets, and non-linear dynamics in financial asset prices.
Find out more at ResearchGate.
Senior Associate, Financial Services Institute of Australasia (finsia)
(P) Md Arifur Rahman, On the Information Content of Idiosyncratic Equity Return Variation. University of Western Sydney, 2008.
(P) Anil Mishra. International Equity Investment and Australia’s Position in the Global Economy. University of Western Sydney, 2007.
(P) Guy Ford. Achieving Risk Congruence in a Banking Firm. University of Western Sydney, 2006.
(C) Asghar Ali. Capital Regulations and Financial Stability: A Cross-Country Perspective. University of Western Sydney, 2012.
(C) Md Selim Akhter, Financial Soundness and Development: A Multi-Country Analysis Using Panel Data. University of Western Sydney, 2010.
(C) Jason Swee Hong Koh. Comparison of the New "Econophysics" Approach to Dealing with Problems of Finance to Traditional Econometric Methods. University of Western Sydney, 2009.
(C) David Lam. The Economic Impact of Asian Migrants Under Australian Migration Policy. University of Western Sydney, 2007.
(C) Mingyuan Guo. Intraday Return, Volatility and Liquidity: An Investigation of the Market Microstructure of Chinese Stock Market. University of Western Sydney, 2006.
(P) Phuong Thao Tran. Impacts of the Global Financial Crisis on an Emerging Market: The Case of Vietnam. University of Western Sydney, 2013.
Enrolled HDR students
(P) Juan-Carlos Franco Laverde, PhD. Western Sydney University
(C) Ho Ngoc Thao Trang, PhD. Western Sydney University
(P): Principle supervisor
- Xuan, V.V. and Ellis, C. 2018. International Financial Integration: Stock Return Linkages and Volatility Transmission Between Vietnam and Advanced Countries. Emerging Markets Review. Forthcoming.
- Xuan, V.V. and Ellis, C. 2017. An Empirical Investigation of Capital Structure and Firm Value in Vietnam. Finance Research Letters. 22. 90-94.
- Tran, P.T., Daly, K. and Ellis, C. 2013. Transmission of the Global Financial Crisis to the East Asian Equity Markets. International Journal of Economics and Finance. 5(5). 171-183.
- Franco-Laverde, J., Littlewood, A., Ellis, C., Schraner, I. and Varua, M. 2012. FMCG Portfolio Budget Allocation to Price Promotions Using Modern Portfolio Theory (MPT). International Review of Business Research Papers. 8(5). 16-30.
- Ellis, C., Sundmacher, M. and Varua, M. 2011. Student Perceptions of the Quality of Economics and Accounting Education at UWS. Australasian Journal of Economics Education. 8(2). 43-62.
- Sundmacher, M. and Ellis, C. 2011. Bank ‘ratings arbitrage’: Is LGD a blind spot in economic capital calculations? International Review of Financial Analysis. 20(1). 6-11.
- Batten, J., Ellis, C. and Fetherston, T. 2008. Sample Period Selection and Long-Term Dependence: New Evidence from the Dow Jones. Chaos Solitons and Fractals. 36(5). 1126-1140.
- Ellis, C., Wilson, P. and Zurbruegg, R. 2007. Real Estate ‘Value’ Stocks and International Diversification. Journal of Property Research. 24(3). 265-287.
- Ellis, C. and Hudson, C. 2007. Scale Adjusted Volatility and the Dow Jones Index. Physica A. 378(2). 374-386
- Ellis, C. 2007. The Sampling Properties of Hurst Exponent Estimates. Physica A. 375(1). 159-173.
- Ellis, C. and Wilson, P. 2006. Expert System Portfolios of Australian and UK Securitised Property Investments. Pacific Rim Property Research Journal. 12(1). 107-128.
- Ellis, C. 2006. The Mis-specification of the Expected Rescaled Adjusted Range. Physica A. 363(2). 469-476.
- Ellis, C. and Parbery, S. 2005. Is Smarter Better? A Comparison of Adaptive and Simple Moving Average Trading Strategies. Research in International Business and Finance. 19(3). 399-411.
- Ellis, C. and Wilson, P. 2005. Can a Neural Network Property Portfolio Selection Process Outperform the Property Market? Journal of Real Estate Portfolio Management. 11(2). 105-121.
- Batten, J., Ellis, C. and Hogan, W. 2005. Decomposing Intraday Dependence in Currency Markets: Evidence from the AUD/USD Spot Market. Physica A. 352(2-4). 558-572.
- Batten, J., and Ellis, C. 2005. Parameter Estimation Bias and Volatility Scaling in Black-Scholes Option Prices. International Review of Financial Analysis. 14(2). 165-176.
- Batten, J., Ellis, C. and Fetherston, T. 2005. Return Anomalies on the Nikkei: Are They Statistical Illusions? Chaos Solitons and Fractals. 23(4). 1125-1136.
- Ellis, C. and Wilson, P. 2005. A Stochastic Approach to Modelling the USD/AUD Exchange Rate. International Journal of Managerial Finance. 1(1). 36-48.
- Ellis, C. 2018. The TAFE/VET Pathways Student Experience in Higher Education. In: Agosti, C. and Bernat, E. (eds), University Pathway Programs; Local Responses Within a Growing Global Trend, Springer International Publishing AG. Forthcoming.
- Tran, P.T., Daly, K. and Ellis, C. 2014. Assessing the Effects of the Global Financial Crisis on the East Asian Equity Markets. In: Arouri, M., Boubaker, S. and Nguyen, D.K. (eds.), Emerging Markets and the Global Economy: A Handbook, Academic Press (Elsevier): United States. 537-554.
- Ellis, C. and Sundmacher, M. 2011. Dependence and Return Distributions During Crises: Evidence From Emerging Asian Economics. In: Batten, J.A. and Szilagyi, P.G. (eds), The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on Emerging Financial Markets. Contemporary Studies in Economics and Financial Analysis. Volume 86. Emerald Books: United Kingdom. 449-471.
- Ellis, C. and Sundmacher, M. 2009a. The Economic Implications of Volatility Scaling by the Square-Root-of-Time Rule. In: Gregoriou, G.N. (ed.), Stock Market Volatility, Taylor and Francis: London. 147-161.
- Ellis, C. and Sundmacher, M. 2009b. How 'Normal' are Emerging Market Returns? In: Gregoriou, G.N. (ed.), Emerging Markets: Performance Analysis and Innovation, Taylor and Francis: London. 39-56.
- Ellis, C. and Hogan, W. 2006. The Distribution of Yen Denominated Credit Spreads. In: Batten, J.A., Fetherston, T.A. and Szilagyi, P.G. (eds), Japanese Fixed Income Markets: Money, Bond and Interest Rate Derivatives. Elsevier-North Holland: Netherlands. 207-232.
- Ellis, C. 2005. Does Statistical Dependence Matter? Evidence from the USD/AUD. In: Batten, J.A. and Fetherston, T.A. (eds), Asian Pacific Financial Markets in Comparative Perspective: Issues and Implications for the 21st Century. Contemporary Studies in Economics and Financial Analysis. Volume 86. Elsevier Science: Netherlands. 53-72.