Lauren has taught within the Higher Education sector since beginning her PhD in 2010. Before commencing her role at ACAP, she worked across three institutions in the UK where she was involved in teaching across a range of undergraduate and postgraduate subjects in the field of Psychology, as well as honours supervision. Lauren’s PhD research focused on the relationship between sleep quality and depressive symptoms among perinatal women.
In 2016 Lauren completed a Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Practice, gaining her the title of Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Alongside her academic work, Lauren has trained in Yoga Therapy and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and has run a number of specialised courses for anxiety and depression. She has also trained in the use of CBT and ACT for the treatment of insomnia.
Insomnia, perinatal mental health, third-wave therapies, yoga therapy, higher education
- Counselling skills / practice
- Counselling theories / models
- Psychology of health and wellness
- Mental Health
- June (2014). Kita, L. Sleep and Postpartum Depression. Oral presentation at The Sleep Research Society Trainee Day, Datablitz, Minneapolis, USA.
- June (2014). Kita, L. Sleep and Postpartum Depression. Oral presentation at SLEEP 2014, the28th Annual Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies, Minneapolis, USA.
- June (2013). Kita, L & Mayers, A, McDougall, S. Subjective and Objective Sleep in Late Pregnancy. Poster presentation at SLEEP 2013, Baltimore, USA.
- March (2013). Kita, L. Sleep in the Perinatal Period: Risks and Opportunities. Oral presentation at NHS Perinatal Travelling Circus, Bournemouth University, UK.
- June (2012). Kita, L. Poor sleep as a risk factor for postpartum depression. Oral presentation at Brown University, Rhode Island, USA.
- April (2012). Kita, L & Mayers, A. Poor sleep as a risk factor for postnatal depression. Poster presentation at BPS Annual Conference, London.
- August (2011). Kita, L & Mayers, A. Poor sleep as a risk factor for postnatal depression. Oral presentation for Research Group at St Ann’s Hospital, Poole, UK.
- July (2011). Kita, L & Mayers, A. Poor sleep as a risk factor for postnatal depression. Oral presentation at PsyPAG Annual Conference, Bangor, UK.
2012 Santander Scholarship £2300
- International Association of Yoga Therapy (IAYT) – accredited Yoga Therapist
- Higher Education Academy - fellow