James Collison is a Clinical Psychologist and Senior Lecturer at the Australian College of Applied Psychology. He is also the acting Course Coordinator for the Masters of Professional Psychology and the Graduate Diploma of Professional Psychology Practice.
Teaching / Coordination responsibilities
Teaching/Coordination for PSYC5482 (Intervening with Psychological Problems) and Teaching for PSYC5472 (Assessing Psychological Problems). Course Coordinator for Masters of Professional Psychology and Graduate Diploma of Professional Psychology.
Expert Comment Topics
Adolescent Mental Health
Body Dysmorphic Disorder
Psychological Testing and Assessment
- Alomari, A. H., Collison, J., Hunt, L., & Wilson, N. J. (2021). Stressors for emergency department nurses: Insights from a cross‐sectional survey. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 30(7-8), 975-985
- Burton, T., Ratcliffe, B., Collison, J., Dossestor, D., & Wong, M. (2020). Self-reported emotion regulation in children with autism spectrum disorder, without intellectual disability. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
- Lewis, P., Collison, J., Whitehead, L., Howie, V., Feighan, S., Wiese, M., O'Reilly, K., Jaques, H. and Wilson, N. (2019). Demographic profile of the intellectual disability nursing workforce in Australia: findings from a national survey', Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disability.
- Collison, J. & Barnier, E. (2020). Eating disorders, body dysmorphic disorder, and body image pathology in female Australian models. Clinical Psychologist, 1, 1 - 11.
- Wilson, N., Collison, J., Feighan, S., Howie, V., Whitehead, L., Wiese, M., ... Lewis, P. (2020). A national survey of nurses who care for people with intellectual and developmental disability. TheAustralian Journal of Advanced Nursing, 37(3), 4-12
- Collison, J. & Auton, L. (2020). Prevalence of body dysmorphic disorder and predictors of body image disturbance in adolescence. Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Barnier, E. & Collison, J. (2019). Experimental induction of self-focused attention via mirror gazing: Effects on body image, appraisals, body-focused shame, and self-esteem. Body Image, 30, 150 - 158.
- Collison, J. & Mahlberg, J. (2019). Psychometric evaluation of the Body Image Concern Inventory in an undergraduate sample. Clinical Psychologist, 23(2), 112-123.
- Lewis, P., Feighan, S., Whitehead, L., Howie, V., Collison, J., O'Reilly, K., Wiese, M., Jaques, H., Robinson, S., Rogers, I. and Wilson, N. (2019). 'Demographic profile of nurses who work with people with intellectual and developmental disability in Australia', Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 63(7), 714 - 715.
- Wilson, N., Feighan, S., Howie, V., Whitehead, L., Collison, J., O'Reilly, K., Wiese, M., Jaques, H., Robinson, S., Rogers, I. and Lewis, P. (2019). 'A review of the roles and practice domains of Australian nurses who work with people with intellectual and developmental disability', Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 63(7), 15 - 715.
- Collison, J. & Mahlberg, J. (2018). Factor analysis and psychometric validation of the body image disturbance questionnaire in an Australian undergraduate sample. Australian Psychologist, 53(3), 195-202.
- Oakes, A., Collison J., & Milne-Home. J. (2017). Repetitive, safe, and automatic: The experience of appearance‐related behaviours in body dysmorphic disorder. Australian Psychologist, 52(6), 433-441
- Collison, J. (2018). Four-part series for general practitioners on promoting access to mental health among adolescents living in Western Sydney (funded via the South-West Sydney Area Health Network).
- Collison, J. (2017). Cognitive behavioural formulation. Invited training for the Fairfield Community Health Centre. South West Sydney Local Health District.
- Collison, J. (2016). Assessment of body image disorders among adolescents. In-service for Headspace (Campbelltown), funding via OneDoor Mental Health.
- Collison, J. (2014). Measuring behaviour in body dysmorphic disorder via the appearance-related behaviours scale: Preliminary findings from a clinical sample. Mental Health Practitioners Network, Campbelltown Branch Meeting.
- Collison, J. (2013). Appearance-related behaviour in body dysmorphic disorder. Nepean Hospital Centre for Addictive Medicine Annual Meeting, Penrith, Australia.
ORCID iD profile URL
Registered Psychology (Area of Endorsement: Clinical Psychology)