Latest information about COVID-19

International Students

Courses for International Students

*Not available as a stand-alone course for international students

Courses are only available to international students on the Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane campuses. Not all courses available on all campuses, consult individual course pages for details.

Start Your Adventure

Studying overseas is always exciting. Study with ACAP and it’ll open the door to a lifetime of adventures.

Australia is up there as one of the best countries in the world to study in. And ACAP is one of the most supportive educational environments you’ll find. Make friends for life, learn from some of the most dedicated teachers in the field and pave the way to a successful career - here, back home or somewhere new.

There are a lot of things to think about before making the decision to jump on a plane and head down under. Cost of living is one of them. Here’s a guide on day to day living costs in Australia, plus some useful websites you might want to check out. 

Visa Arrangements for Study

Do I need a student visa?

Most international students require an Australian Student Visa to study in Australia.

If you are holding an Australian temporary visa (other than a student visa) you may not need to apply for a student visa. You can check your visa study entitlements on the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs website.

Please note, irrespective of your visa processing arrangement - you must submit your complete application (via your agent or direct to the College), wait until you have received and returned your letter offer acceptance agreement to the College, and then wait until you have received your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) issued by the College before applying to the DIPB for a student visa.

Applying for a student visa from outside Australia

If you lodge an application outside Australia, you must wait until your visa is granted before travelling to Australia. If you travel to Australia on another visa before your application is finalised, you will need to lodge a new application in Australia (if eligible) and pay another visa application charge.

Applying for a student visa from within Australia

Not all students are eligible to apply for a student visa from within Australia. For example, some visas are not eligible visas and there may also be other visa application constraints.  For further details about the student visa processes, visit the DIBP website

Renewing your student visa

You must hold a valid student visa while studying in Australia. It is the student visa holder's responsibility to apply for a further student visa before it expires, if:

  • you have not completed your course yet
  • you have submitted your postgraduate research thesis
  • you are going to commence a new course of study

Student visa conditions are available on the DIBP website.

Changes to your student visa or course while studying with ACAP

If you are international student studying on an Australian Student Visa and you have been granted a new Australian temporary or permanent visa, you must notify your local campus International Student Contact Officer immediately. 

If you wish to change your study plans, do promptly contact your ACAP campus International Student Contact Officer to discuss the impact of your plans on your student visa and the various options that may be available to you. 

Extending your stay after course completion

If you have completed your studies and you wish to extend your stay in Australia you will need to apply for another visa before your current Australian Student Visa expires. Usually you can only apply for another visa if you do not have a 'No Further Stay' condition on your current student visa. For further information refer to the DIBP’s webpage on ‘Study Situation’.

Future Students

From 1 July 2016, the student visa processes are guided by the Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF). Under the SSVF:
• international students apply for a single Student visa (subclass 500), regardless of their chosen course of study 
• student guardians will apply for the new Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)
• all students and student guardians (or their representative agent) will generally be required, following receipt of a confirmation of enrolment from their provider, to lodge their visa application online by creating an account in the DIBP’s “ImmiAccount” system at

Key requirements for the Student visa (subclass 500)

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement

The GTE requirement applies to all student visa applicants and considers whether the individual circumstances of the student indicate that their intention is for a temporary stay in Australia. A genuineness assessment is made by taking into account a number of personal factors relating to the student, such as their immigration history, circumstances that might encourage the student to return to their home country and conditions that might encourage them to remain in Australia.

Enrolment in a registered course of study

International students must provide their Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) which ACAP supplied on enrolment, when they lodge their student visa application in “ImmiAccount”. Exceptions to this requirement apply to Foreign Affairs and Defence sponsored students (Letter of Support from Foreign Affairs and Defence); secondary exchange students (an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students form); and postgraduate research students required to remain in Australia for marking of their thesis.

Financial capacity and English language proficiency

All international students are required to have sufficient funds to cover their course fees and living costs in Australia. While student visa holders are able to work a specified number of hours in Australia, they should not rely on working to cover their course fees and living costs.

Students will generally be able to satisfy their financial capacity by providing a declaration and a Confirmation of Enrolment which shows that they have met ACAP’s English language requirements as part of their DIBP visa application process. For some students the DIBP may request documentary evidence of financial capacity with their visa application.

Evidence requirements when applying for a student visa (subclass 500)

To find out what documents you might need to provide to the DIBP through the “ImmiAccount” system as part of your visa application process go through the following steps.

  • Step 1. Go to
  • Step 2. Scroll down to 'Find the document evidence you need to provide' and select your Country of passport.
  • Step 3. Select your Education Provider -Australian College of Applied Psychology, Navitas College of Public Safety.
  • Step 4. In 'I am one of the following' select "none of the above" (last option). Click on 'Display evidence".

For further details about the student visa process visit the DIBP website.

Information for those who applied for a student visa or were granted a student visa before 1 July 2016

The SSVF only applies to student visa applications lodged from 1 July 2016 and will not affect  continuing visas of existing student visa holders and those granted a visa having applied under the former visas arrangements. However, if you were granted a visa under the former visa arrangements and change programs your visa may be affected.

Family members of existing student visa holders (subclasses 570-576) will need to apply for a subclass 500 visa if they do not currently hold a student visa and want to join their family member in Australia.

For further information, of visit the DIBP’s website.

Living and Accommodation


How much should you budget? It depends where you live and the type of place you want to live in. As a guide, a single student living away from home will spend $1,400 - $2,000 each month on accommodation, food, utilities and entertainment. Here’s a breakdown:

  1. Accommodation options:
    • Renting: $350 - $700 per week
    • Shared rental: $190 - $350 per week
    • Hostel or guesthouse: $280 - $500 per week
    • Homestay: $110 - $270 per week
      (We’ve teamed up with the Australian Homestay Network – learn more here.)
  2. Groceries and eating out: $80 - $280 per week
  3. Gas/electricity (when renting): $35 - $140 per week
  4. Phone and internet: $15 - $55 per week
  5. Public transport: $15 - $55 per week
  6. Car (after purchase): $150 - $260 per week
  7. Entertainment: $80 - $150 per week

Don’t forget to budget for school fees if you have school-aged dependents (aged 5-18).

Funds in the Bank

You must show you have enough money in the bank when applying for a student visa with The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

Here’s a 12 month guide:

  • Student/guardian $20,290
  • Partner/spouse $7,100
  • Child $3,040

Useful links and Resouces


Study in Australia - the official Australian Government website for international students.

Studying in Australia as a Student With Disabilities

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Australian Bureau of Meteorology

Australian Bureau of Statistics

Apply for a student visa

Getting around

Google maps Australia

Sydney public transport

Melbourne public transport

Brisbane public transport

Adelaide public transport

Finding Accommodation

International students’ renting rights

ACAP International Agents

List of International Agents

Finding a job


Medical Emergencies: Dial 000 and ask for an ambulance

Medical Attention including after hours:

Overseas Student Healthcare Insurance (OSHC)

As an International Student, it is a condition of your student visa that you have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your stay in Australia. OSHC gives you access to out of hospital and in hospital medical services to help you maintain your health. 

Below are some suggestedOSHC providers:


ACAP on social media

Find info on student visas here


Legal Services

Free legal services are available at:

Law Access NSW
Legal Aid Queensland
Legal Aid Victoria

The Fair Work Ombudsman provides information and advice about workplace rights and obligations of everyone working in Australia, including holders of student visas.  See their website for more information: