The ACAP Alumni Team is pleased to have Dr Clare Murphy present our next professional development session in Brisbane on;
Why Men Abuse the Women They Love
Date: Monday 26th September
Times: 5.30pm to 6.00pm Registration, Refreshments & Networking
6.00pm to 8.30pm Presentation
Location: G27 & G28, 410 Ann Street, Brisbane
Cost: Alumni Covered by ACAP
Booking Fee: $20 refundable, conditions apply*
Registrations: Please see below
Dr Clare Murphy is the author of the internationally respected website speakoutloud.net that provides in-depth, well researched and referenced resources. Clare walks alongside professionals working with abuse to gain deeper clarity about the dynamics of power and control in intimate relationships, and to enhance victims' self-empowerment, safety, resolution and freedom. And, to guide motivated offenders to grow self-awareness, compassion and caring values and behaviours.
Clare has a lifetime of hours of counselling and coaching experience and has observed that although many clients come with depression or anxiety it's all too often apparent they're in, or have been in, a relationship with a perpetrator of coercive 'power and control'. It could be their husband, boss, mother, a school bully, or an entire family of in-laws. Clare uses Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and a Critical Social Ecological Systems approach with individuals and couples. Her focus extends to school and workplace bullying, complex PTSD, panic attacks, stress, chronic fatigue, pain management and unblocking creative potential.
In this presentation Dr Murphy will cover aspects of:
- Different types of domestic violence
- The main focus will be on men’s attitudes and their intentional use of coercive control
- The role of institutions including religion, education system, sporting arena
- The role gender socialisation plays in influencing men’s abuse against women
- The pivotal role masculinities plays in men’s perpetration of abuse
- The part played by men’s historical role of ownership of women and children
- These topics will set the scene as a guide to best engage with male perpetrators in counselling
By attending this event you will receive a certificate crediting you with 2.5 PD hours.
Registrations are crucial as places are limited. Please register via the online form. Registrations will be via Eventrbrite and you will receive an email confirming your registration.
There are a limited number of places at this session available for Alumni to invite colleagues who may benefit from attending. Registrations for these places are at a cost of $20 and are ticketed as "non Alumni ticket". Whilst the number of these tickets is limited, more tickets may be released one week prior to the event if alumni places are not filled.
* This $20 booking fee will be refunded to those who attend the session or cancel 24 hours before the event. We thank you for your understanding regarding this new process.
We look forward to receiving your registration and seeing you at the session.