ACAP RESEARCH CONFERENCE
2022 Conference: Possibilities Unlocked
ACAP RESEARCH CONFERENCE
2022 Conference: Possibilities Unlocked
Friday 9 September 2022
Advancing Student Health, Wellbeing, and Engagement
ACAP seeks to foster a vibrant, diverse, and supportive research environment and a learning ecosystem that is informed by scholarship. Quality research and quality teaching are complementary and are distinguishing features of learning cultures in higher education. Our annual conference offers an opportunity to showcase our research and the partners we collaborate with, as well as be inspired by the research and scholarship of our keynote speakers. ACAP has a proud history of educating students with skills for making a difference, and the conference aims to bring together the ACAP learning community including students, academics, managers, policy makers, practitioners, and researchers from the broader community.
welcome to the 2022 conference
This year’s conference is the first since 2019 to provide the opportunity for face-to-face interaction. The conference will adopt a hybrid format. Presentations will be delivered both online and live from the Sydney campus. Registrants will have the option of attending at an ACAP campus, which will include networking and social events, or online. I’m sure that many of you are looking forward to meeting together for an on-campus event.
This year’s conference theme focuses on the student experience. As higher education emerges from the pandemic, student health, wellbeing, and engagement will be of primary importance for all higher education providers. The research presented by one of our keynote speakers, ACAP’s own Professor Margaret Carter, speaks directly to this important topic. Further, research in the applied areas that are central to ACAP’s mission, including higher education, has benefited enormously from the Lived Experience of a range of community and consumer stakeholders. Our second keynote speaker, Dr Louise Byrne a Vice-Chancellor’s Senior Research Fellow at RMIT University, is recognised internationally in the area of Lived Experience workforce development.
We will also hear from some of our top performing research students and academics, including recipients of recent grants and prizes. In addition to the keynote addresses and individual research presentations, we will also be offering a research showcase made up of shorter presentations in the style of the popular “3-minute thesis”.
All ACAP staff, students, alumni, and partners are warmly invited to participate in what we are certain will be an exciting showcase of ACAP’s research and scholarship.
2022 Program – Coming Soon
A draft conference program will be available for downloading here in early August. The final conference program will be available in late August
Time & date
- Friday 9 September 2022
Location & venue
- On campus and online
- Live presentations from the Sydney campus.
- Other presentations online.
- Networking and social events on each campus.
- 24 June: Call for abstracts opens
- 1 July: Registration opens
- 22 July: Deadline for abstract submissions
- 19 August: Full program released
- 9 September: Conference
Registration will open soon
Call for Papers
Members of the College community and external partners are encouraged to submit a paper for inclusion as an oral presentation at the conference. Abstracts should be submitted by 22 July 2022. All abstracts will be peer reviewed. All accepted abstracts will be published in an abstract book before the conference. Please follow the guidelines below when submitting your abstract in APA Publication Manual (7th Edition) format :
- Provide the full title of paper as it will appear in the conference programme (in bold)
- Include a list of author(s): First Name, Surname, department / Institutional affiliation (in italics)
- Indicate the corresponding author with an asterisk
- Please include a max 150 words biography of author(s)
- List 3 – 5 keywords
In the abstract main body (max 300 words), please include:
- Background (outline of the context and/or academic literature informing the research)
- Methodological approach (indication of the broad theoretical orientation and/or methodological approach)
- Summary of main findings to be presented
- Statement of key significance and / or impact of the findings
A statement indicating how the presentation aligns with one of ACAP’s three areas of research focus (100 words):
- The scholarship of learning and teaching, including both pedagogical practice and the health and wellbeing of students.
- Psychological, societal, and legal issues associated with equity, diversity, and inclusion incorporating advanced qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- Evaluation and investigation of contemporary human services including clinical, health, and positive psychology; counselling practice; social welfare and human rights; and impacts of the corrections system on offenders and their families.
Please email all abstracts to [email protected]
Keynote Speakers: Announced Soon
ACAP Research Showcase CompetitionACAP students and staff are invited to submit a short video showcasing their 2022 research by Friday 19 August. This video should follow the 3-minute thesis format.
- The competition is open to current academic staff and students who are doing a research project or completed one as part of their study in 2021.
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g., sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g., costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g., no poems, raps, or songs).
- Examples live and recorded 3-minute thesis presentations can be seen HERE.
- All video entries must be submitted as a YouTube or Vimeo link to [email protected] by the deadline of 19 August.
- 1 of 3 prize packs including an ACAP Hoodie, certificate and $150 eftpos gift card.
Prizes will be awarded to a winner in each of the following categories:
- People’s choice: most inspiring research
- Best student research
- Best staff research
Winners will be announced during the ACAP conference on 9 September 2022.
- Entries must be received by 11.59 pm (NSW time), Friday 19 August 2022
For any questions please send an email to [email protected]