Students may be eligible to have their past studies and/or work experience count as credit towards their ACAP qualification. This means that the student applying for credit could be exempt from some of the units listed in the relevant course and be able to complete their qualification in a shorter period of time. Please note that applicants must be an enrolled student with ACAP before they can apply for Credit.

Credit may be granted through articulation, credit transfer, or recognition of prior learning processes:


1.  Articulation

Students who have completed particular qualifications either within ACAP or with specified other education providers may be able to use their completed qualification as the basis for admission and/or for credit in a higher level ACAP qualification. This is referred to as an Articulation Agreement and it gives students a logical sequential pathway to successfully meet the learning outcomes of the higher level qualification.


2. Credit Transfer

Students may also apply to receive credit towards a qualification they are enrolled in at ACAP based on previous formal, informal and/or non-formal learning undertaken at ACAP or in other institutions. When based on officially accredited qualifications you have already done this is known as credit transfer and where it includes other types of learning, including in the workplace, it is known as recognition of prior learning.

Students can apply to have their previous learning assessed to determine whether it is equivalent to the learning outcomes of a specific unit. We publish current Common Credit Transfer Agreements so that you can see if learning you have already completed has previously been assessed as allowing credit in one of our courses.

There are some important things to be aware of in relation to applying for or receiving credit. This is detailed in the Credit Arrangements Policy, and the key items are:

  • When to apply: Students are able to apply for credit at any time unless they have completed the unit or are enrolled in the unit at census date. It is therefore advisable to do so at the beginning of their studies. Students who are enrolled in a unit at census date are liable for all fees and must meet all academic requirements to pass the unit. Check the academic calendar for census dates.
  • Limits to credit: There is a maximum amount of credit you can receive for each course, depending on the level (for example a Bachelors degree or a Masters degree).
  • Units excluded from credit provisions: Some units are not available for credit, for example due to professional body accreditation requirements. Please ensure that you have checked if the unit(s) you are applying for are eligible to receive credit.
  • Units requiring specific evidence: Some units require specific evidence to be submitted in order for an application for credit to be considered. Please ensure that you have checked any additional requirements before submitting your application.
  • Eligibility:
    • Credit can only be granted for learning at the same level, for example credit for a unit in a Masters degree would not be approved if the previous learning was in a Bachelors degree
    • Credit for formal and non-formal learning can only be granted if the learning was undertaken in the past 10 years
  • Impact on maximum enrolment periods: If you receive credit, then the maximum enrolment period for the course is reduced accordingly, and for international students this will need to be notified to the relevant government authorities and may mean that your student visa is affected. We will inform you of the impact on the maximum enrolment period and its implications when the outcome of the application is determined.

For any questions, please contact [email protected].



First self-assess your prior formal learning, non-formal learning and work experience and other informal learning against the learning outcomes of the ACAP unit or units for which you wish to apply for credit. Unit outlines are available in the Unit Descriptions. If you have questions, please contact the relevant course coordinator.


STEP 2: PREPare your application

  1. Complete the application form and if there is no Articulation Agreement or Common Credit Transfer Agreement that applies, ensure that you complete Table A and indicate:
  • the unit(s) for which you are applying for credit, and
  • how you have already met the specific learning outcomes in your previous learning (whether formal, non-formal or informal learning)


STEP 3: submit your application

You can submit this form in person at your local campus or via email at [email protected]


what happens next?

The relevant course coordinator will source a suitable assessor for the application, for example, an experienced educator for a particular unit. The assessor will either approve or decline the application based on the evidence supplied. The portfolio of evidence is extremely important in a successful application, and insufficient documentation can lead to an unsuccessful application or a delay in the assessment of an application.

Once a decision is made you will be informed of the outcome. This process may take up to 20 working days.

If the application is approved, credit will be granted for the relevant unit or units and entered into the student management system.

If the application is declined you will need to complete the relevant unit or units as part of normal requirement of the course at ACAP.

You may appeal any decision in this process in accordance with the Academic Grievances and Appeals Policy and Procedure.

Apply Now
I'm applying as a

Domestic Student

I'm applying as an

International Student