Fees 101 for school leavers

Fees 101 for School Leavers

Deciding what to study when you leave school is undoubtedly exciting, but the financial side of things can be confusing when it’s not something you’ve needed to think about before. This page will help you navigate fees and options for financing your study dreams so you know where you stand before you commit to this important investment in your future.

Am I a domestic or an international student?

Firstly, it’s important to determine whether you are a domestic student or an international student as fees and financing options vary.

  • You are a domestic student if you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen (including dual citizens), an Australian Permanent Resident or you have a Permanent Australian Humanitarian visa
  • If you do not fit the above criteria you are an international student and will need an appropriate visa for study in Australia

If you’re an international student, please take a look at the information here.

If you are a domestic student, stay on this page.

How much will my study cost?

Once you’ve decided on a course, you’ll need to find out how much it will cost. You’ll have to pay tuition fees for each subject you study. You can find our most up to date fees information here.

How do I pay my fees?

There are two main ways for domestic students to pay their fees. You’ll be able to select your preferred payment method during the admission process and can change it during your studies if you need to:

  1. You can pay upfront for the subjects you’ve enrolled in each trimester by direct debit, BPAY or credit card. You’ll receive an invoice and will need to pay by the first day of the trimester.
  1. For approved programs, you can pay through a government FEE-HELP or VET student loan (more information below).

Can I get help to cover my fees?

Yes! As a domestic student and school leaver, there are many ways to get help with the cost of tuition fees:

Can I get a refund on my fees if I don’t complete a module?

Under certain circumstances you may be able to get a refund on tuition fees you’ve paid upfront or remission of a FEE-HELP/VET Student Loan for modules you haven’t completed. You can find ACAP’s Tuition Fee and Refund Policy here and Re-crediting of HELP Balance Policy and Procedures here.

What is Tuition Protection?

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is an Australian Government initiative which protects all domestic students at private higher education providers (like ACAP) whether you pay your fee upfront or through a government loan. If we were to close or stop offering a course or unit of study that you have paid for, the TPS helps you continue your studies or receive a refund. Find our Statement of Tuition Assurance – Higher Education here.

Who can I speak to at ACAP about fees and finance?

We are here to help! The whole team at ACAP will support you in investing in your future and finding the best way to finance your studies. Our experienced course advisers are the experts and they’re always up for a chat about your options. Why not contact them to discuss what would suit you best – 1800 039 139 or email [email protected].


Hear from ACAP students

Young male smiling
There are so many options, so many different things you can do with a social work degree that many other degrees do not offer. Mitchell, Bachelor of Social Work
Young woman in purple shirt smiling
Experience is key to learning especially in a field like psychology. Exposure through placements has been the most important part of my learning process and motivation for further study. Jazz, Graduate Diploma of Psychological Science
Apply Now
I'm applying as a

Domestic Student

I'm applying as an

International Student