Equality in the Workplace
Diversity and inclusion (D&I) has been hot topic for some time now, and for good reason. While being inclusive is of course morally right, diversity adds great value to a team. So, workplaces who don’t take D&I seriously do so at their peril.
What do we mean by a diverse workplace?
A diverse team is one whose members have different backgrounds and experiences, for example race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, political views, skills and professional backgrounds.
What are the benefits of a diverse team?
Bringing together a breadth of perspectives and skills has been proven to have benefits on many areas of business:
- Broader skill set – a diverse team means there are more skills to draw upon in your work, and that team members can learn more from each other
- Efficient problem solving – multiple viewpoints mean problems are solved faster and more efficiently
- Greater creativity – diversity enhances creativity and the out of the box thinking which sparks novel ideas and innovation
- Better morale – D&I has been shown to improve morale in the workplace and good morale makes for better productivity
- Attract a wider talent pool – research shows that diversity in the workplace is important to job seekers, so a company that takes D&I seriously will attract more candidates
What is ACAP’s commitment to diversity?
At ACAP, we take D&I seriously, acknowledging that our whole community benefits from a range of perspectives. We welcome and celebrate diversity, uniqueness and respect for difference, and our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Steering Group leads a range of initiatives to promote D&I in the College.
Our commitment: Working for Change
At ACAP, we work to ensure all our people feel comfortable bringing their whole selves to College.
We welcome and celebrate diversity, uniqueness and a respect for difference, acknowledging that all our community benefits from a wide breadth of perspectives across College life.
We are committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive learning environment and ensuring all our community is treated equally so they can enjoy everything ACAP has to offer.
We apply this in every aspect of our operations, it’s in our DNA and we encourage our students and staff to feedback suggestions that help with its on-going evolution.
We are not perfect yet, we know we can do better and are working actively with staff & student bodies to continually change and develop more inclusive behaviours and processes.
Who can I contact with ideas on D&I at ACAP?
We are always striving to do better and appreciate any suggestions or feedback you may have. We’d love to hear your ideas! Contact us at [email protected].
Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.