Dr Arnie CollisonLecturer, Psychology
Dr. Arnie Collison is an early career researcher and registered psychologist. Their research to date predominantly focuses on the lived experiences and health behaviours of the LGBT+ population and immigrant populations. Having previously worked as a School Psychologist for the Department of Education, including an Intensive English Centre, they have specific experience in adolescent mental health, CALD community support, and psychometric assessments. Arnie has also practiced as a psychologist at the Gender Centre before moving to their current workplace, Reid Clinical Psychology (https://reidclinicalpsychology.com.au/welcomex.html).
Arnie completed their PhD in the lived experiences of the transgender population. They have research experience within the spheres of both sociology and psychology, having contributed to research projects and publications in the areas of sexuality and sexual health, community health, LGBT+ populations, and CALD populations.
PSYC5582 Professional Psychology: Assessing Psychological Problems
PSYC5632 Professional Psychology: Practice 2
LGBT+ lived experience and mental health
Culturally and Linguistically Diverse lived experience and mental health
Sexual and Reproductive Health and Wellbeing
Social Determinants of Health
Research and scholarship (include grants and publications)
- Asquith, N.L., Collison, A., Lewis, L., Noonan, K., Layard, E., Kaur, G, Bellei, F., and Yigiter, E. (2019). Home is where our story begins: CALD LGBTIQ+ people’s relationships to family. Current Issues in Criminal Justice, 31:3, 311-332, DOI: 10.1080/10345329.2019.1642837
- Asquith, N.L., Noonan, K., Collison, A., Bellei, F., Kaur, G., Lewis, L., & Yigiter, E. (2019) “Home is where our story begins: CALD LGBTIQ+ people’s relationships to family”. Conference paper presented at the 56th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Criminal Justice Science, Baltimore, Maryland, 26-30 March.
- Storr, R, Parry, K, Knijnik, J, & Collison, A. (2019). Developing LGBTI+ supporter groups in the Big Bash league. Report for Cricket Australia, Sydney. Western Sydney University.
- Collison, A. (2017). A cisgender outsider: The navigation of methodological and theoretical hurdles as an outsider to the research population. The Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality, Australasian Symposium, Western Sydney University, Parramatta campus.
- Collison, A. (2015). The navigation of gender disclosure post-transition by the Australian gender-diverse population. Australian and New Zealand Professional Association for Transgender Health (ANZPATH), Annual Conference, Brisbane.
- Wray, A., Ussher, J.M., & Perz, J. (2014) Constructions and experiences of sexual health among young, heterosexual, unmarried Muslim women immigrants in Australia. Culture, Health & Sexuality: An International Journal for Research, Intervention and Care, 16:1, 76-89, DOI: 10.1080/13691058.2013.833651
Professional registrations or accreditation, eg Accredited Social Worker (if relevant)
Psychology Registration with AHPRA: PSY0002395946