Orientation: Essential Information
Thank you for choosing ACAP, and congratulations on leaping into the world of study. We are beyond excited to be part of your student experience, and your journey begins with Orientation! Attending ACAP Orientation Sessions is a crucial step in your educational success and helping you transition into college life, whether you’re a first-timer or seasoned student.
‘O Week’ for Trimester 1, 2023 starts from Monday 30 January 2023. Mark this week in your calendar.
How do I attend Orientation?
ACAP students who have completed their enrolment will be emailed an invitation to register for Orientation Sessions. Newly enrolled ACAP students have two or more Orientation Sessions to participate in. These include a General Orientation Session and a Course/Discipline Specific Session. International students also need to attend a mandatory International Student Specific Session.
All orientation sessions are hosted online, via Zoom. Links to join sessions will be emailed to students who have completed their registration. If you have not received emails about orientation by 12 January, or you have questions or concerns, please email Student Engagement.
It is highly recommended for all students to attend the General Orientation Sessions. This is where you’ll receive essential information for a smooth start at ACAP, including:
- Key contacts and where to get help when you need it.
- Simple guides on accessing the student portal and class spaces.
- Where and when to get help from our Counselling, Student Learning Support, and AccessAbility services.
- The Academic Calendar which has key dates to help you stay on track.
- Tips to set yourself up for successful study, including setting up your study workspace and managing your time effectively.
You will receive a welcome email containing information about orientation.
Discipline Orientation Sessions
A Discipline Specific Orientation Session will provide you with more course-specific and detailed information relevant to your course. You will be emailed a link at least a week before your Orientation Sessions are held.
- Bachelor of Psychological Science (Honours) students, your ‘Discipline Specific Session’ is compulsory. We still highly recommend that you register and attend a ‘General Orientation Session’ too.
At your Discipline-Specific Session, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Meet Academic staff from your discipline.
- Learn about how your course will run, study expectations, preparing for exams and who to ask for help.
There’ll also be time for Q&A at the end of each session.
International Students have an additional Orientation Session that is mandatory to attend. This is a 1-hour session.